Thursday, April 07, 2011

This bread is B.A.N.A.N.A.S!!

It has taken me some time to figure out a banana bread recipe that I like a lot.  Like enough to rave and blog about, at least.  When I began with banana bread years ago, I always used the recipe my mother used, a delicious recipe from her mother.  (Who probably got it from her mother... and so on it traveled across the American plains with the Mormon Pioneer Migration.)  Or perhaps my grandmother got the recipe from a farm magazine in the 1950s when she was raising little kidlets on the farm in the Utah Mountains.  Either way, the recipe is a family one, tried and true for several years.  I decided that this amazing recipe could use some serious refinement for the modern cook.  I don't use crisco or even lard in my cooking.  So, then I escaped to the Internet for a good recipe.  Tried a couple of them, but they still left me wanting more.

The following is my recipe that I patch-worked together.  I just tried it, and the result.... really truly great tasting banana bread.  MMMMM Happy Spring!

Quel's Banana Bread

2 Eggs
2/3 Cup white sugar (or mix 1/3 raw sugar with 1/3 white sugar)
2 very ripe bananas 
1/4 Cup unsweetened applesauce
1/3 Cup Light Coconut Milk
1 Tbsp. Veggie Oil
3/4 Tbsp. pure vanilla extract
1 3/4 Cup All-purpose flour
2 tsp baking soda (can use 2 tsp baking powder and 1/2 tsp of soda)
1/2 tsp. salt
1/3 Cup (or more) chopped walnuts
**Option** 1 - 2 tsp cinnamon 
**Option** could sub the All purpose flour with an all purpose gluten free flour. 

Blend all of these ingredients together.  I generally start at the top of the recipe and work my way down with this one.  Its a simple cake/bread type batter so no worry on the order you add the ingredients.  As a note, I use all organic ingredients whenever possible.  In this case the bananas, sugar, applesauce, coconut milk, vanilla extract, flour, walnuts and cinnamon were all organic.    After I had started baking, naturally, I discovered I was out of baking powder.  I substituted by just putting 2 teaspoons of baking soda instead.  This worked out great and didn't leave that aftertaste that some banana breads have.  Its from too much leavening agent, I think.  

Anyway, I baked for an hour at 325 degree oven.  3 little loaves.  Although, you could use a loaf pan or a square 8 x 8  too.  I 've done all of these.




2 comments:

Alicia said...

The bread looks really good. Thanks for sharing the recipe. I'll have to try to make some. But the thing I love the most is that pretty, curvy detail under (what I assume are) your kitchen cabinets. That is so cute!!

Raquel said...

Ah, yes, my state-of-the-art 30s kitchen! Thanx! It's fun and quaint!!